We're officially really, really done with the semester. Somehow, I kept expecting bells and whistles, but it doesn't really feel any different than any other semester. I'm looking forward to some time to relax, but we've already started tackling another project. We're ripping the carpet out of the upstairs and painting the hardwood floors. Reed's asthma dictates that we shouldn't have carpet, and I'm glad to have an excuse to remove it. After pulling this carpet out, I'm officially grossed out by carpet. There were PILES of dust and dirt underneath the carpet, and lots of strange hairs (we do not allow Hank upstairs because of the asthma issue, so I don't know WHAT kind of hair that was).
Also, there was kitty litter. We don't even have a cat. Yuck.
I asked Reed what color he wanted his floors, but he said red. Now, I don't know what to do, because his walls are bright yellow, so if we paint the floors red, then we'll have to paint the walls, which I don't want to do. So I think I'm going to pull executive privilege and paint his floors beige or green. Luckily, he's an amicable little fellow, but he keeps repeating "I want red. Red is my favorite color. I LOVE red." Uh oh.
This weekend, we're going to Pittsburgh to get him an official big bed. Actually, it will be a twin, but he's in a toddler bed now, so I think he'll be pretty excited to have a bigger bed. He slept in our room last night, because we cleaned everything out of his room to pull the carpets out, and we put all of the stuff from HIS room into the GUEST room--not a lot of foresight there.
Well unfortunately, Reed talks in his sleep. He kept Caleb and I both up all night. Finally, because I had a big paper due today along with a final this afternoon, Caleb took Reed downstairs to sleep at 3am. Reed stretched out and made himself comfortable, and Caleb slept on the couch sitting up.
Poor Caleb. I guess that I owe him now.
Have I mentioned how excited I am for summer? We're going to Salmon and Jackson Hole, WY during June, and in July, I'm joining a book club with my favorite professor. Besides that, I'm just going to try and get some writing done, so I'm ready when my grad program starts, and at the beginning of August, I'm going to attend a 2 week seminar on how to teach English 101.
Summer is going to be AWESOME. At least, until, as the head of the deparment wrote recently on the English Department blog, "August becomes the month of diminished expectations."
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
2 posts in one week!!! WOWEE!
You could paint his floors a rich brown color with hints of red in it and let him know it IS a red that would look good w/ yellow walls but you don't want his room looking like a McDonald's! Or maybe that would be unhelpful to mention...
Congrats on finishing school and getting into the MFA program! Awesome for you!!!
Congratulations on your graduation! And your MFA program acceptance (again) AND on posting two blog entries in one week! Whooot!
I hope you are well. Let me know when you'll be in town, I would love to host a dinner for you.
xo patti
Thanks guys! Megan, I decided to go with beige when I realized that EVERY color is Reed's favorite color. And Patti, I don't think we'll make it to Boise (bummer)! We're flying into Jackson Hole and driving to Salmon from there. If you feel like a trip to Salmon, we would love to visit there!
Post a Comment