Friday, July 17, 2009

A long and boring post that only the closest of friends and family will care about....

Sundberg-Winters' Family Update:



1. I sorted through Reed's toys and took out all of the toys that no longer seemed age-appropriate to donate to the Salvation Army. I tried to keep all of the pieces together, so that some poor volunteer wouldn't have to sort through bags of toys. One toy was a little music and drum set that we gave him when he was 1. Well, he's nearly 4 now. I couldn't find the drum sticks, so I put everything together, and then set aside until I found the drum sticks. Reed got home from preschool and immediately saw the drum set. He shouted "Thanks Mommy! You found my toys!" He then proceeded to play with that stinking drum set all night. Fortunately, I was clever and hid the rest of the toys before he saw them.



2. We have termites in our crawl space. Fortunately, we have a contract with Orkin where we pay them a ton of money every year, and in return, they fix any termite problems. The only problem is that we didn't have them check the crawl space last year (I didn't even know we had a crawl space!) Here's fingers crossed that no major damage has been done.



3. We have weevils in our cupboard. We've been fighting them for weeks. We had to throw out huge $ worth of food, and the little moth-like things keep showing up. I'm certain we got them from organic pumpkin seeds. Stinking organic food that brings weevils in my house. Harumph. West Virginia is very buggy.



4. I cleaned all day yesterday, and my house still looks like a disaster.



5. I was assigned my classes for the fall, and I have an 8:30 class. I HATE mornings! Caleb is so mean. He laughed and danced all over the kitchen when I told him. He was actually excited about my distress.



6. On my class roster, there is an option where I can look at my student's schedules. Drunk with power, I entered the first student on my list in the system. Her schedule came up, and I saw that she is in Caleb's Freshman Seminar. He's teaching a one credit freshman seminar class to dorm students where he mentors them and lends an ear to all of their complaints. Yikes, I hope that student doesn't complain about me. I asked Caleb what he would do if say....a student complains that her English 101 teacher is mean and ugly and stinks of cheese. He said nothing.



Well, I hope he tells her that he's married to that teacher. I swear that Caleb teaches 80% of the freshman. Fortunately, everyone loves him, so I don't have to worry about them complaing about him.



7. I've tested positive for insulin resistance, and I'm taking medicine for it. I've likely had this issue for years, so I'm actually relieved that it's finally being treated. I do NOT have diabetes. I'm not even pre-diabetic. It's related to a different issue, but I am trying to follow a low-carb diet. Well, that is really, really hard. I miss pasta. I miss whole grains. I used to eat carbs with every meal, and I didn't even realize it. Now I eat carbs with only one meal a day. It's a bummer. I was also advised to exercise one hour a day. I've actually been enjoying that, but we'll see what happens when the school year rolls around.



8. My friend Kelly Morse is coming to visit on Monday. I'm SO excited. We're going to drive to Ohio and visit her friend Catherine Wagner for a day. We're also either going to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water or go to the art museum The Mattress Factory in Pittsburgh. It's going to be a total vacation. Caleb doesn't mind. He says that he owes me, because he went to Greece for 10 days in March. He also goes hunting every fall, so this is MY chance for girl's time!



9. Hank dug himself under the deck again and couldn't get out. It's a good thing that Caleb is skinny, because that deck has about 6 inches of room underneath it.



Well, that about sums it up. I guess I should get back to cleaning.

3 comments:

Blind Dog Megan said...

You've probably already done this... but just in case...
I found while living in the south that you HAVE to put pantry items in air tight containers, like those big rubbermaid containers. Or else weevils or the little cockroaches will get in flour, sugar, sunflower seeds, and anything else. YUCKERS.
I like these updates. Have fun on your girly trip. And drink lots of coffee for your 8:30 class!

Kelly said...

Yes, I've been investing in rubbermaids. I guess that I should have done that long ago!

Jenny said...

This post cracked me up. Especially the part about Caleb being mean and dancing around gleefully at your distress. I can totally imagine it. Ah, good times.